The Truth about Hemp
What is Hemp?
Does it make you high? Isn’t that illegal? Is it harmful? The answer – No! These commonly asked questions are some of the many myths about the hemp plant. Confusion and controversy often arise when hemp is the topic of conversation. Unfortunately for hemp, being a near relative of marijuana has meant that it has been tarnished by association. So, let’s clarify the difference between hemp and illegal marijuana and understand why hemp is gaining such momentum in the health and wellness world and is increasingly being recommended to enhance the health and wellbeing of our pets.
The cannabis satvia plant comes in two forms:
- Tall, strong and durable (Hemp).
- Small, flowery and medicinal (Marijuana).
The relative cannabis plants look very different, but the crucial difference between the two is the compound, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
THC is what makes you ‘high’ and marijuana plants contain elevated levels of THC. Meaning marijuana has a reputation for adult recreation purposes.
On the other hand, hemp contains very little traces of THC, under 0.3% to be precise. This does not have the potential to ever make a person ‘high’.
Instead, hemp contains high levels of cannabidiol. Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a safe and non-psychoactive compound. CBD can actually ease anxiety and depression, relieve pain, reduce acne and has even been proven to benefit heart health! All without the mind-altering effects of marijuana or certain over-the-counter pharmaceuticals!
In addition to its therapeutic qualities, hemp also has an incredible range of industrial uses. The hemp plant has played a critical role in mankind’s industry for hundreds of years. It was once one of the most vibrant and valuable crops. Before 1885, 75-90% of paper, was hemp based and up until 1800, Americans could even pay their taxes in hemp! Due to its strong fibers, 80% of the world’s textiles and fabrics were made of hemp until the 20th century. Today, hemp is used to produce environmentally friendly plastic substitutes, clothing, health and beauty products and much more.
So, just like lemons and limes, hemp and marijuana belong to the same family but look and act very differently. Not so scary after all.
Hemp Hip & Joint Care
PET CARE Sciences Finest Hemp Hip & Joint Care is purposely made to exacting standards to relieve pain, whilst supporting your dog’s joints and connective tissues. The chews also give additional nutritional benefits to your dog’s skin and coat, naturally relieve stress and anxiety, and support cardiovascular health, ensuring your dog remains active.
The delicious chicken and duck flavour chews are aneasy to give, tasty dog treat too!
Glucosamine HCL, MSM, Chondroitin
- These help to promote healthy tendons, cartilage, ligaments and synovial fluid.
Organic Hemp Seed Oil
- Contains Omega 6 and Omega 3. It contains antioxidants from tocopherols and a variety of other beneficial properties including anti-inflammatory compounds to fight arthritis pain.
- Organic hemp seed oil is one of nature’s strongest anti-inflammatorys. Its reported benefits include treatment of pain, arthritis, seizures, anxiety, inappetence and cognitive dysfunction.
- The omega 3 fatty acids found in hemp oil, help with skin and coat conditions. E.g. Dry skin, allergies or excessive shedding.
- Supports connective tissues by maintaining the elasticity of skin and muscles, minimizing the loss of mobility in joints. As an antioxidant, it also supports and improves the immune system. It really helps dogs suffering from arthritis & hip dysplasia.
Organic Hemp Seed Powder
- Hemp seeds have been found to halt the spreading of certain cancer cells.
- Turmeric and hemp oils help support a healthy immune system, organ function and remove toxins from the body.
- Supports the heart and circulatory function, ensuring your dog remains active.
Yucca Schidigera Extract
- Yucca has been used to alleviate some of the pain and inflammation of arthritis with the saponin extract forming the beneficial component.
- Yucca can help with psoriasis and other skin issues.
Egg Shell Meal
- Contains calcium and phosphorus. These help to develop strong, healthy teeth and bones. Calcium also boosts muscle health, heart health, and the immune system.
- Vitamin C may also help with allergies in dogs because it functions like a natural antihistamine.
- Vitamin C maintains the health of collagen. It is helpful for dogs with arthritis and degenerative joint disease, hip dysplasia, and spinal disorders.
PET CARE Sciences – Your Pets, Our Science