My Cart
Checkout Secure
Pet Dangers on Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day is here! If you have a pet, you already have the best Valentine! However, this time of year, there are often many risks for our pets that may go unnoticed.


While chocolate and flowers are traditionally considered romantic Valentine’s Day traditions, dogs, cats and other pets who nibble on their owner’s gifts definitely won’t be feeling the love. And whilst wine and candy may be a delight for you, they may pose a hidden health risk for your dog or cat. To make sure their Valentine’s is ideal, it is important to be aware of the dangerous effects common Valentine’s items can have on cats and dogs. That’s why in this blog we will tell you about the most common pet dangers of Valentine’s Day and how you can avoid them.




Who can resist a beautiful bouquet? Flowers are one of the most beautiful details to give and receive on Valentine’s Day. However, it is extremely important that flowers are kept away from our pets, even if at first glance they seem armless and beautiful.


There are certain types of flowers, traditionally gifted on Valentine’s Day, that are very dangerous for our animal friends, due to the components they possess. And some plants, while not poisonous, can be harmful, such as roses, since they have sharp thorns that can cause lacerations.


Numerous types of popular flowers are deadly to pets, especially cats. Many flowers can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and stomach irritation. This is especially true of lilies; all varieties are incredibly noxious to cats!

Cats are especially curious about these types of flowers, so you must be very careful if you have one at home. Our best advice, even if your pet doesn’t seem interested, is not to allow lilies in the house (or the garden). If your cat chews on the leaves or petals, drinks the water the flowers stand in, or rubs against the pollen, they are at risk of kidney failure. Why this happens is still a mystery, but the fact remains clear- lilies contain something that is deadly to cats.

Note: Be alert for Easter, Asiatic, Tiger, Rubrum and Day lilies, as well as any flower from the Lilium family. Other toxic plants include Crocus, Daffodils, Amaryllis and Tulips.




Who wouldn’t be delighted to receive chocolates and heart shaped candy on Valentine’s Day?


There’s no shortage of deliciously chocolatey food this time of year. Candies and chocolates are undoubtedly the most popular Valentine’s gift.


If you’re a dog owner, you’ll probably know that chocolate and candies are amongst the biggest pet risks out there. And although a very nice detail, chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs. In fact ingestion of the sweet stuff can lead to nervous system and heart damage, vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. But it’s not only canines who are affected, the caffeine and theobromine in chocolate is a danger to any pet. In addition, at general levels, chocolates and candies contain large amounts of sugar, which is harmful to dogs, cats, and (let’s be honest) humans too.


Did you know? The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for your pet.


Dog or not, if your pet does consume chocolate or candy, make sure to take them to the vet immediately.


To avoid exposing your pet to poisoning, make sure that if you give or receive chocolates on Valentine’s Day, they are out of your pet’s reach. The same applies to candy, gum, or other sweets that can be exchanged on this date.

Tip: Treat your pet with healthy options, and limit pet treats in general to avoid obesity.




Warm candlelight always gives that romantic touch to Valentine’s Day dinner, and they are a must for this type of celebration. However, if you have pets in your home, using candles carries certain obvious dangers. Never leave a flame unattended. It’s good advice for anyone, but especially for pet owners. Animals can easily burn themselves or cause fires by playing with candles that are left out to set the mood.

You should also be aware that pets, whether dogs or cats are often very curious by nature, so it’s not unlikely that they will be attracted to the movement or light of a flame.

Tip: Keep flames out of your pet’s reach (no need for singed whiskers)! Dogs can wag their tails sideways and knock the candle without even noticing it.




What better way to end Valentine’s Day than with a glass of wine? You may love an alcoholic beverage, but your pet’s system certainly doesn’t. Alcohol can be poisonous to pets (even in small doses) and can cause a lot of damage, from kidney failure to respiratory issues. This is why you should do everything you can to keep your pet away from alcohol. Don’t share drinks with your furry best friend. Save the red wine for you and your human beau!


Valentine’s Day presents some dangers for your pets that you must take into account if you want to have a nice and smooth day. Remember, there is no greater love than the love your pet has for you, so it is important to be a responsible owner and keep your pet safe during this celebration.


Older Post

Added to cart!